Busnbug - Volkswagen Trimming Co - Stuff we've done lately

The people & products who help keep us running.
brad@busnbug
Wanna see my splittie?

Busnbug - Volkswagen Trimming Co - Stuff we've done lately

Post by brad@busnbug »

Hertzy was good enough to offer us the opportunity to sponsor the Luft, for which we are honored and have accepted, and suggested we put up a post to show what we’re on about.
This is the sort of stuff we do.
This is a pretty good story and is the sort of thing we do.
Glenn’s 73 Type3 was owned by his grandfather and had done less than 40,000 miles. His grandfather was anal about the car. Hated getting it wet etc. Glenn’s been on again off again for years with the car, but motivation from his 13yo son Zac to get it to the Nationals in Canberra last weekend, gave him a deadline.
The first time we saw the car, about 6 weeks ago, it was painted in the red and weiss you see here, but the guards were in the front yard, it was minus an engine, it was going to Vollkommen and Mick at VW performance for various tricky operations, the interior was shot according to Glenn and was headed for the tip, and he wanted a full interior resto. We thought he was ambitious hoping to get it to Canberra in time but hey, he was on a mission.
The seats and cards had been out of the car for a while and had been present for the painting of Glenn’s “General Lee“. So orange and schwarz overspray. And silver engine paint I think? Plus they had plenty of years of sweaty summers ground in to them. They looked pretty ordinary, but they were in ripper condition underneath the grime. Glenn’s Dad was a jockey, so he was probably rarely actually touching the seat, cos they were still beautifully sprung and solid.
I thought before we go making up a whole new interior, we should have a go at restoring the seats and cards. The carpet was shot. We’d have to do that anyway, and the roof lining had nearly been finished by another trimmer who was doing it onsite, ducked off to the pub and never came back.
So we have this “wonder cleaner” that we use, that is an ancient recipe for cleaning shite off Type3 seats, and underneath the shite and overspray were these “like new” seats and cards. The boards in the door cards were cracked and bent, so we replaced them with our own laser cut cards, and retained the original red trims. (Btw we’re doing laser cut cards for everything).
We detailed the bejesus out of the seats and cards, resprayed the seat bases, made up and bound a carpet kit with a cutout over the engine hatch, and did a quick fix on the headlining. We’ll redo that later.
So, we did our bit and the car left here last Thursday at 11.00pm, needing wiring, some glass, guard fitting, (the cards are only just sitting there in the pics, they couldn’t go in until the rear guards went on). He and eight helpers put it together by 4.00 the next morning, and they were in Canberra the next afternoon.
So,moral of the story, you might be able to do something with what’s there without going to the expense of a new interior. Which really works if you’re doing s’thing ratted. Nothing worse than a nice ride that’s a pain in the arse to drive. Literally.
Also pics of a nice ute we did last week. Repaired his collapsed spring base. And made up new covers and coconut fibre pads for his bench. He was on the way through from Tassie to Vegas via Adelaide. Dropped in for the day and drove off with a nice comfortable seat, that looks for all the world like it did when new, for the rest of the trip.

Some of Glenn’s pics here:- http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_ ... ?cat_id=19

Call us if you’ve got a plan for your interior or need one.
Busnbug 03 9555 5440 or email@busnbug.com
Website www.busnbug.com
Cheers all.
Brad & Jono

Last edited by brad@busnbug on Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:28 pm, edited 14 times in total.
www.busnbug.com

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

the artist formerly known as 65busser
Jase
Sydney tourism board.

Post by Jase »

Fark m e how good did those Type 3 seats come up :shock: Nice job.
Will be popping down to see you not too distant future mate see what you can come up with for my 58 15 window. Once again nice work bud
Cheers
Jase
HOODWINK
The Best from the West

Post by HOODWINK »

that single is SWEET :D
DubbinDan
My heat exchangers are dragging.

Post by DubbinDan »

Nice one Brad. Pity I live so so far away!

Never seen that SC before. Killer! Love it!
brad@busnbug
Wanna see my splittie?

Post by brad@busnbug »

Doesn't matter how far away you are Dan. Half our business is outside Victoria. We're having seats shipped to us and we're shipping 'em back finished. Got a pretty good shipping arrangement. Easy to send a set of covers too for those who are happy to fit them themselves.
Yeah that SC is a beaut. Goes and handles too.
www.busnbug.com

beaner
Wanna see my splittie?

Post by beaner »

G'day Brad,

care to share that cleaner recipe for those of us who wish to do it ourselves?,
cheers!,
cam.
lobus
panscraper extraordinare

Post by lobus »

Brad with Valla coming up there might be another courier run in the mix eh?
In the area of seat cleaning, I'll be in to get the treatment soon.

As for giving out the cleaner recipeI reckon it will be easier to get Colonel Sander's secrets than yours. :)
brad@busnbug
Wanna see my splittie?

Post by brad@busnbug »

Been doing a VG Valiant Coupe that's had the convertible treatment.

Last edited by brad@busnbug on Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.busnbug.com

Water Boy
my kitchen rules!

Post by Water Boy »

Brad ill trip round wif the ol man when its time for the'59 :lol:
brad@busnbug
Wanna see my splittie?

Post by brad@busnbug »

Mate, you'd be welcome, and Dave LOBUS, we'll definately be booking some space.
Started on this Splitty this week. Full interior sans headliner. Think the colours are gonna work.

www.busnbug.com

rookie
this photo does not exist

Post by rookie »

hey brad.. great story and its all looking and sounding great!

looking forward to seeing the website up and running. :P
hertz
Snake Charmer

Post by hertz »

Hey Brad, you wouldn't be able to get hold of a sample of the vinyl used in the Paggali type 3s for me would you. I just need a bit to match some colour to for the interior on kates square.
signature cock
beaner
Wanna see my splittie?

Post by beaner »

Brad are you able to do plastic welding (not sure if that's the right term), i have some good seats with a few cracks i'd like to get fixed, and can you restore vinyl dashes?, cheers, cam.
brad@busnbug
Wanna see my splittie?

Post by brad@busnbug »

Cam. Yep, vinyl welding. Works best if it's very light grain vinyl. If it was basket weave vinyl for example, you'd lose the pattern in the area that's repaired. Send us a pic. brad@busnbug.com
Thanks Luke. Will be in touch soon.
www.busnbug.com

HOODWINK
The Best from the West

Post by HOODWINK »

think you could touch up my oval door cards?

brad@busnbug
Wanna see my splittie?

Post by brad@busnbug »

No, I'd say they're f@*ked. :wink:
www.busnbug.com

HOODWINK
The Best from the West

Post by HOODWINK »

65busser wrote:No, I'd say they're f@*ked. :wink:
:(

if you find any in good ratty condition just holla :wink:
brad@busnbug
Wanna see my splittie?

Post by brad@busnbug »

Yeah, well I've just done some for a customer who wanted a new interior. I've kept his original covers which are probably what you're after. They've been re-coloured at some stage. They were the same as yours but are just a bit darker now. They'd need new cards but we've got them in stock.
I'll take some pics tomorrow and put them up if you like.
Brad
www.busnbug.com

brad@busnbug
Wanna see my splittie?

Post by brad@busnbug »

"She's Touring the Facility"

Some pics of the place. There's stuff everywhere. Forgive the mess :wink:
Gotta thank Ryan "Warb" from dsk for the signage. Did the ute too.
Got the display case happening. Always buying and selling interesting stuff.
Here's the "magic" cleaner. One of the wonder product range we brew up and sell. Just add 75% wasser, put it in a spray bottle and clean that tired ol interior of yours. It'll move all the shite from your seats or cards, whatever, and leave them as clean and original as they are...(under the shite).
Upstairs we've got quite a library of seats, cards, covers, frames and interior related gear. Always buying/selling this sort of stuff.
Got some seats with bug bases if anyone wants them. Can put seats on VW bases if ever you need that done.
Got the cards goin.
We've got seats coming in from every direction. This one looks like being a challenge. Got a pretty good shipping arrangement for seats and interiors.
I think the ute's enjoying semi-retirement. Those nasty PMG days are just a distant memory. Makes a brilliant workbench.
www.busnbug.com

hertz
Snake Charmer

Post by hertz »

Hey Brad. Got any 54 oval bases?
signature cock