DAS Resto Haus...what's been keeping us off the streets...

The people & products who help keep us running.
Dasdubber
Wolfsburg Post Master

DAS Resto Haus...what's been keeping us off the streets...

Post by Dasdubber »

I've been meaning to start a thread with some photos of what we've been up to for ages.....so without too much more rambling here is what the DAS Resto Haus crew (Steve, Rob, Barry and newcomer Brad (and myself)) have been working on.

This thread will probably jump around a bit initially with some previous work pics....and some current work mixed in that I'll update routinely.
Al

To kick things off is Jack's bus - he had a thread going on ask for quite a while - he has the bus and using it regularly, it will come back down soon to raise it up a little to get a bit more ground clearance for regular use:

Have to get some better "completed" pics when it comes back down!
Dasdubber
Wolfsburg Post Master

Post by Dasdubber »

We've been doing a few rat resto's recently including Mick's bus which had seen a hard life of rust and a slide down the road on its side at some stage.

The idea was to preserve as much patina as possible and invest more heavily in the underpinnings.

Whilst I didn't want to spend a whole week on the patina matching, the layering and latex peel made the lower 8 inches of the bus look close to original
Dasdubber
Wolfsburg Post Master

Post by Dasdubber »

Then for something non splitty related - we were enlisted to help resurrect the famous Peter Keegan drag car of the 70s most prominently known as the "Camel Car" due to its Camel Cigarette sponsorship around that time. Whilst the yanks (ost vs west coast) argue about who was the first to get a VW into the 10s on the quarter, Peter beat them by around 2 weeks (my chat with the Schleys in the US earlier this year didn't result in any admission though!).

Most recently Darryl Yates who used to own Volksmod here on the Gold Coast ran the car in Volksmod guise.

The new owner Rod Richardson is bringing it back to its Camel livery and Dave Butler is building the supercharged flat four. We got it to preliminary paint stage (Silver and weiss) and later we'll get it back to do the orange, then the graphics will be outsourced.

Rod found the original guards (previously on his ex Volksrestore chop top drag beetle which I painted when DRH just opened up)

New rear end had to be grafted on

Original paint rear apron was uncovered

Original style scoop was recreated from photos and some video

Myself, Peter Keegan and Dave Butler discussing the silver and weiss colour samples at Warwick

The silver/weiss fade line was again laid out using photos as a guide

Fortunately forgot to remove Steve before it departed the workshop...

Back in the day:

Peter Keegan was inducted as one of Australia's drag racing pioneers at an awards ceremony in sydney last year:
PASHN8
Kanye The Clicker

Post by PASHN8 »

Solid work as always Al, keep them coming!
'Shelter for homeless rust buckets'
NUG637
2012 LUFTER OF THE YEAR

Post by NUG637 »

awesome stuff! 8)
STRIKE1
GASBNR
2010 "LUFTER OF THE YEAR!"

Post by GASBNR »

8) Stuff AL
"SORRY BOUT THAT"
Phat Bug
Bendigo Squadron

Post by Phat Bug »

Love it Al!!
Jockster
i see you baby...shakin' dat ass

Post by Jockster »

Going to be a cool thread this one!

Great stuff Al.
captainvw
VOTE 1 ACKERMAN

Post by captainvw »

Wow it's like our own KCW 8)
Don't call this a comeback .
Jase
Sydney tourism board.

Post by Jase »

But better :wink:
I'm scared my fibreglass addiction is becoming a real problem

STRIKE 1!
Dasdubber
Wolfsburg Post Master

Post by Dasdubber »

Cheers guys, going back quite a few years (pre DAS Resto Haus days)....built this thing in my garage including painting in my old man's shed

And I can't forget our tribute to the 80s in the form of the "Rad Bug" built for the Warwick VW drag meet several years ago :)

Dasdubber
Wolfsburg Post Master

Post by Dasdubber »

Jumping forwards to last year was my old 56 oval that now resides in sydney and is nearing the end of its reassembly. It was a really solid car so I just gave it a quick make over and a fresh coat of custom colour paint.

I just left it off the gun, if the new owner cut and buffed it the paint would really come to life....not sure if he will or not.

Fortunately new owner has put a 2in beam under it and lowered it down and added some vintage speed goodies....should be good to see it finished some day.
Last edited by Dasdubber on Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whatnow
The Speculator

Post by whatnow »

the 63 build was and still is very inspiring to me. it really raised the bar (IMHO) of both quality and internet build threads in australia.
Dasdubber
Wolfsburg Post Master

Post by Dasdubber »

whatnow wrote:the 63 build was and still is very inspiring to me. it really raised the bar (IMHO) of both quality and internet build threads in australia.
Cheers mate :)

Now for something we are working on currently. Phil's barny SC "Grover" is in for some welding on the underside, but rest easy, the patina is staying as is on the outside :)

Rolling out of the truck on arrival:

Phil's got some pretty big plans for the SC horsepower wise but staying sympathetic to the overall character of the ute. I fell in love with the SC when I saw pics of it a couple years back at a show in NSW - loved the stance and concept so its an honour to work on such a beast.

Firstly we had to knock up a barny specific blasting frame which allows our blaster to tip it up to 45 degrees to get to the underside and inside treasure chest/engine bay.
Dasdubber
Wolfsburg Post Master

Post by Dasdubber »

Time to dissect the underside - cargo floor was removed along with all top hats (to be replaced), I-beams (to be reused) and all other surrounding sills, pillars and outriggers etc.

Steve's fail at humour

Now you can see why we have a full box frame for blasting to keep the alignment of the chassis during repairs

Off to the blaster

Back from the blaster

Hence why its always hard to quote on jobs until you get them blasted :)
Dasdubber
Wolfsburg Post Master

Post by Dasdubber »

Now for the rebuild

That brings us pretty much up to date so the rest of the SC work will be in real time now. So I'll post up a few other previous resto's in the midst of the progress.
Cheers
Al
Dasdubber
Wolfsburg Post Master

Post by Dasdubber »

Few more pics of Grover:
byronbus
luft commander

Post by byronbus »

Tell me he's not fixing the dents on the inside of the gates?
Did you keep the old bulkhead? That bit was awesome, would look good on a rat...
Dasdubber
Wolfsburg Post Master

Post by Dasdubber »

No repairs to gates Bruce. We did keep the separation panel - will have to do some faux patina down the track on the new panel though. As you know there is a fair bit o faux patina on the outside already so hopefully should match okay.
Dasdubber
Wolfsburg Post Master

Post by Dasdubber »

Another current project to get Rhett a little hot under the collar....temporarily on hold while Luke gets his gearbox sorted (not your standard IRS beetle box!).

Hopefully will get back into it towards the end of the year :)

AL