Three Iron

for those on the darkside

Nafe
Albury Luft Command

Three Iron

Post by Nafe »

Had this mk3 Golf for about a year now. It's my daily, so this probably won't be much of a "build" thread.

Nafe
Albury Luft Command

Post by Nafe »

Got this early VR interior from Tonz earlier this week. It's got the sweet VR bolsters, height adjustment and 60/40 fold in the rear. And it's even a similar trim pattern to the door trims.
Nafe
Albury Luft Command

Post by Nafe »

Problem is, the VR6's were all 5 doors, and mine is a 3 door. The seats don't adjust far enough forward, so a flipping mechanism was needed to let rear seat passengers enter and egress. I didn't think that VW would tool up 2 different sorts of seat mechanisms for the small volume of 3 doors, so I went searching for clues on how to convert the new seats to flippers....

Pulled off the adjusting knob and plastic cover to reveal this. Got curious about the big screw, so I undid it.
Which enabled this little tab to be flipped back, which freed the seat on the outboard side.
Then, all you do is move the latch up on the inboard side, and voila, flipping seats!
Nafe
Albury Luft Command

Post by Nafe »

The bar for child restraints is not meant to be removable on these cars, and they're secured by some sort of blind bolt. The child restraint bar is not structural, and really eats into the cargo area, so I hacksawed it off to put my bike in the boot.

Got another bar from Tonz with the interior, so I figured it was time to make a proper removable bar. Filed down the bolts to create a sort of slot that I could use an 8mm spanner on. The bolt was made from really soft metal, so it was really hard to get it off without stripping my makeshift bolt head. But I got there!

Nafe
Albury Luft Command

Post by Nafe »

Next thing will be to give the interior a good scrub, it looks like both the driver and passenger have both spilt chocolate milkshake on the seats.... And hopefully I can sell my old interior!
surfpig
Postal Spammer

Post by surfpig »

lower it :wink:
i used to be cool

#fattyfriends

http://motocycodelic.tumblr.com/
Spike
The Best from the West

Post by Spike »

Looks great bud. I'm thinking to grabbing your fronts for when my mk2 ones get retrimmed....... Still thinking.
Crazy Eyes
STRIKE 1
type3disease
KING KOMBI

Post by type3disease »

Need to find us a single 4x100 teledial I reckon... 8)
DENIM HEAVEN

SWITZERLAND.....

enough said....!
Tonz Magonz
Postal Spammer

Post by Tonz Magonz »

Nafe wrote:Next thing will be to give the interior a good scrub, it looks like both the driver and passenger have both spilt chocolate milkshake on the seats.... And hopefully I can sell my old interior!

That ain't chocolate milk mate.... :shock:

Spend the money you saved on the seats and get them steam cleaned..

Can't recommend highly enough, the services of Peter Swanson..( long term dubber )
He details cars and cleaned some serious staining from the front seats of my T5..
Couldn't believe how good they came up...
Shoot me a pm and I'll get you his number...
Looking for a mk3 VR6 and a 90's hiace... Future projects for shits and giggles.
Nafe
Albury Luft Command

Post by Nafe »

Tonz Magonz wrote:
Nafe wrote:Next thing will be to give the interior a good scrub, it looks like both the driver and passenger have both spilt chocolate milkshake on the seats.... And hopefully I can sell my old interior!

Can't recommend highly enough, the services of Peter Swanson..( long term dubber )
He details cars and cleaned some serious staining from the front seats of my T5..
Thanks mate!

I think I have one of his business cards floating around, but if I can't find it I'll shoot you a PM :wink:

And you really should be more careful with your 'chocolate milk'.
Nafe
Albury Luft Command

Post by Nafe »

type3disease wrote:Need to find us a single 4x100 teledial I reckon... 8)
YES PLEASE
surfpig wrote:lower it :wink:
One day, maybe.

I ain't done with the AC game just yet.
Tonz Magonz
Postal Spammer

Post by Tonz Magonz »

Nafe wrote:
Tonz Magonz wrote:

Thanks mate!

I think I have one of his business cards floating around, but if I can't find it I'll shoot you a PM :wink:

And you really should be more careful with your 'chocolate milk'.
Not mine ...
More likely is the gun residue from the previous owner...
Marcia Hines
Looking for a mk3 VR6 and a 90's hiace... Future projects for shits and giggles.
Elbo
Melburg Comrade

Post by Elbo »

3 Iron
:lol: I believe the trajectory of those is meant to be quite low!
Nafe
Albury Luft Command

Post by Nafe »

surfpig wrote:lower it :wink:
:salute:

Spike
The Best from the West

Post by Spike »

Better. 8)
Crazy Eyes
STRIKE 1
JYE_91
2016 Lufter of the year

Post by JYE_91 »

Come on were today's pic?
Nafe
Albury Luft Command

Post by Nafe »

Just like the MK1, the oilpan sits really low on the MK3. For my mk1, I put an oilpan on that was reinfoeced with 1/4in steel plate. Which stopped any dents when I hit it, but it was then 1/4in closer to the ground, and instead of blowing oilpans, I chewed through CV joints.

So, it was back to the drawing board when it came time to lower the mk3. I used 20mm billet engine & trans mount spacers, bringing the oilpan well out of trouble, and correcting the angle of the CVs.

However, I'm still undecided about this method, as the engine is no longer exactly where it is meant to be. I'll leave them in for R&D purposes, and decide how I feel after a few 1000 k's.

Although the driveshafts are on a much better angle, they're also now closer to the body, and at the height shown above, I was getting shaft to body contact.
Nafe
Albury Luft Command

Post by Nafe »

So unfortunately, it had to be raised. I might entertain the thought of a frame notch later down the track? But for the moment, this is still my daily, and I should probably be restrained.

I got a nail in my tyre the other week, and was offered some D90's for a very good price. I thought this was serendipitous, and jumped at the offer.

I did a dummy fit today, and got the rideheight lifted, with a Fender to Ground measurement of 595mm all round, where it was previously 555mm. I think the best height would be about 580mm, as the 195/45s have a diameter of 582mm. However, this will wait until I roll the guards.

Anyway, enough words.

Elbo
Melburg Comrade

Post by Elbo »

8)
Phat Bug
Bendigo Squadron

Post by Phat Bug »

That looks rad Nafe 8)