Mikes Entry into World of VWs and his Quest for a blau Slip

for lufters nord of the burg border
Sydney & QLD based chat, events and news.
Nafe
Albury Luft Command

Post by Nafe »

[quote="miikeboyle"]I checked what tyres it already has and on the front 145s and on the back 165/85. I think these sizes look ok, but yeah i guess the decision is to keep these sizes or go for the 135 front 145 rear. What will be the difference? Is it a matter of less chance or rubbing when lowered?/quote]165 is a good size for the back, you could go fatter and taller, a 145 is really only for tranny raised cars, and reduces your highway speed, putting a bit more stress on the motor.

I'm sticking to my guns on the 135's for the front, but it's up to you, you could go a 145, height difference is like 10mm.

As for the heater, take a photo of the interior and the motor and we'll work it out for you. :)
miikeboyle
slammeister

Post by miikeboyle »

link no longer working
Last edited by miikeboyle on Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nafe
Albury Luft Command

Post by Nafe »

You have no heat. notice no tubes coming from the fan housing.

also, you might want to replace the missing fanshroud pieces, to keep the dust and shit out. Not that it matters if you're running hoodjax.
squizy
Wolfsburg Post Master

Post by squizy »

....and your heater knob is covered up by the console that's been installed. But as Nafe said, there aint no heat coming from that fan shroud.
miikeboyle
slammeister

Post by miikeboyle »

Ok, Here is a bit of an update.
Ive pulled the car apart and put it back together again. Ive learned a lot and hopefully this will payoff when I get a blau slip.
POD from club flat four off the Aussieveedubbers was a great help supplying me with an old beam allowing me to bring the front back to stock height. Its too high but legal now.
Thanks to my mate Mitch for the spare wheel.
I got a set of Nankang cx668 135r15 which are the replacements for the n803 which are no longer made. They look tiny with the car so high at the front but will look sweet when I lower it at a later stage.
My dad and I cut back most of the rust and replaced it with new metal and gave it a quick spray job.
Ive replaced one brake line but its revealed a leak in another one which ill replace tomorrow.
Tomorrow ill replace the fan belt too. Got new blinker and rear brake lenses which were definitely not cheap but will get it roadworthy.
Got most of the electrics working with the rest to be done tomorrow.
Had to get a new tie rod end but it took out any looseness that was in the front end.
So yeah I'm stoked with the result and can wait to get it on the road.
I have a pretty huge wish list of parts I want for it but they can wait til our dollar recovers and ill put in a US order.
One thing I still need for rego will be a new exhaust as the current one is way too loud and has a few holes and not much of a muffler. Does anyone know of one for sale in Sydney? I'm not fussy, just don't want to pay ridiculous amounts for it?

So yeah hopefully ill be on the road in no time.

Mike
Last edited by miikeboyle on Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeeM
Faster than lightning !

Post by LeeM »

Did you convert it to 4wd?? :shock: :)
Good job with the rust repair.Cool dub
Water Boy
my kitchen rules!

Post by Water Boy »

Hows thing one going?
miikeboyle
slammeister

Post by miikeboyle »

Ive got new brake shoes and wheel cylinders done now. Im just putting on new tie rod ends and a few other smaller things to tidy it up for rego and hopefully sometime this week or next.
miikeboyle
slammeister

Post by miikeboyle »

Ok so its been a long time since updates and sadly the car is still not registered. I bought a unit and have had no money since. Ive finally started to save a little bit so been doing a little to my beetle.
I did some cip1 shopping and got a bunch of stuff including adjusters and drop spindles. I also bought a complete beam recently and have been cleaning it up.

Anyway here are some more current pics.
As you can see from these pics, the paint has weathered even more and the original paint is starting to show.
I also have got the metal trim on it now, wheels painted matt schwarz and nankang 135s on the front. After rego ill prob take the hubcaps off.
My engine lid has a push button rather than a T handle which I think was a 67 thing, so I got the bit so i can finally keep my engine lid closed.
Ive installed a breather kit.
And a pic of the beam now down to the metal.
I think my biggest concern will be the rust in the body. There is a little bit here and there, so I guess it comes down to how picky the guy doing the rego is.
benjicon
luft commander

Post by benjicon »

Nice man.. get that thing on the road. Looks sweeet!