Whitewalls, Thin stripe - melburg

and what do thy seek?
noonan
cheeky monkey

Whitewalls, Thin stripe - melburg

Post by noonan »

Hey all,

Just purchased a Type 3 with ugly 14" mags on it. I want to run 15" stockies and thin weiss wall tyres.

Does anyone out there have a set of 165 thin striped whitewalls on or off stock rims that they want to sell? They dont have to be brand new, but enough to get me a RWC.

I've been quoted $250 a tyre from Antique Tyres, and that would pretty much double my spend on the entire car in one hit. Forgeddaboutit.

... if not, any suggestions as to who is best to go to for the paint-on service, or recommendations for/against flappers?
surfpig
Postal Spammer

Post by surfpig »

ive got a set of red thin wall flappers, got them off ebay.
i used to be cool

#fattyfriends

http://motocycodelic.tumblr.com/
Phat Bug
Bendigo Squadron

Post by Phat Bug »

Great to here your back in the scene!
Show us what you got!
Still got those personalised plates?
noonan
cheeky monkey

Post by noonan »

Hey Rhett (it is Rhett yeah?) thanks for the welcome!

Pic below of the new ride. Got it started last weekend, interior is near perfect with low back seats, body could do with some love, wheels are horrible. Plans are to respray it satin/matte burgundy or green with a schwarz canopy, schwarz rims, schwarz interior.

Sold the plates a few years ago, I think they're on some sort of Chev in Sunbury now.

...and thanks surfpig, i'm looking at flappers now, or I might just get them painted on for a start and see how that goes. I gutter bash a lot parallel parking in the cbd all the time, so I think i'll trash flappers in no time.

Phat Bug
Bendigo Squadron

Post by Phat Bug »

Yeah that's me!

New project looks like a good base, I always kick myself for mot buying those plates :roll:

Rhett
type3disease
KING KOMBI

Post by type3disease »

New tyres should cost around $100 bucks each, paint on or flappers cost around thesame these days at $120-150 a set pending where you get em, I'd rwc it before you painted just to be safe, likewise should run new tyres in for a bit before you add flappers!

Have you got 15" rims now? If I were home woulda swapped you some forvte ugly 14s...

What were the plates boys? Do tell...?

You in melb I assume?

:D
DENIM HEAVEN

SWITZERLAND.....

enough said....!
Jase
Sydney tourism board.

Post by Jase »

Any of the paint on weiss walls where they scrub out or cut into the side wall won't get through a roady :wink:
I'm scared my fibreglass addiction is becoming a real problem

STRIKE 1!
DreamWeaver
Postal Spammer

Post by DreamWeaver »

Maybe cut some of these up to suit how far away from the curb you want to be, I'm thinking of doing the same :wink:

There are four lights!
noonan
cheeky monkey

Post by noonan »

Cheers guys, I have a friend on the hunt for some for a '69 Corona he just bought, and we've come to the same conclusions as suggested here... schwarz tyres, run em in, add flappers or paint on (not the grind in technique though so we can still get insurance claims through in the case of an accident)

Bit shit that it's too hard to get real whitewalls any more, but tough luck I guess.

'type3disease' > I used to have the "phat" number plates on my yellow wagon. Eventually sold them off after having them sitting in my room for 3 years doing nothing, and yep, melburg based. Yarraville at the moment.

You can have the 14's if you want when I get my new tyres? I dont want them, will only sit next to my shed forever... swap em for a slab of beer?
snEEk
tYRe-KIckeR 1

Post by snEEk »

thin whitewall tyres are still around but might be to exxy? go the atlas inserts for the best cheaper option

http://www.antiquetyres.com.au/
type3disease
KING KOMBI

Post by type3disease »

haha thought it might be something like that for the big fella to have been interested...

happy to supply beer for the rims - if ya cool leaving them beside your shed till I get home sometime (away for work)

look forward to seeing this wagon develop...

got any pics of the ol' yellow one?
DENIM HEAVEN

SWITZERLAND.....

enough said....!
Phat Bug
Bendigo Squadron

Post by Phat Bug »

:wink:
snEEk
tYRe-KIckeR 1

Post by snEEk »

Megalania
Postal Spammer

Post by Megalania »

thats a 'unique' paint scheme on the square
noonan
cheeky monkey

Post by noonan »

yeah Sneek, they're what I was after, but from what I've been hearing from tyre places, Sumitomo dont make them any more, so it would only be luck if I managed to find somewhere with old(er) stock.

Plus they're fat 215s, so it would mean I dont get to slam it as much / as easily as with 165s on there.

Think i'll go blackwalls, then flappers.

And yep Megalania, that was my first car, drove it around when I was 18 and more foolish than I am now. Painted it weiss then did the top half in 100% yellow tinter so it was almost like a highlighter. Fun times.

<< My second one was the schwarz/apricot/red one from my avatar image. I spend too much time in Photoshop planning colour schemes, but it's better than just guessing what i will look like!

New one is planned to look something like this :

snEEk
tYRe-KIckeR 1

Post by snEEk »

bummer they dont make em anymore :(
noonan
cheeky monkey

Post by noonan »

Hey lasty,

I'm after the thin whitewall, 3/4" or 1" stripe, and I guess 165 R15 if they do them, or 185s? Dont want to go up much wider or they look a bit stupid bulging out around the standard rim... although i'm not 100% sure of what sizes Sumitomo did/do offer.

If you can source them at all I'd be keen to get a set, do you sell tyres locally? If I cant get whitewalls I'll just be after some 165 R15s of any variety in the next week or so... let me know what you'd charge?

Cheers!