Melburg Comrade

1600 case

Post by mick1313 »

I'm after a 1600 dual oil relief case
Tonz Magonz
Postal Spammer

Post by Tonz Magonz »

Good to hear...
Looking for a mk3 VR6 and a 90's hiace... Future projects for shits and giggles.
PASHN8
Kanye The Clicker

Post by PASHN8 »

Tonz Magonz wrote:Good to hear...
😄
'Shelter for homeless rust buckets'
martinigreenbus
2009 lufter of the year!!!!

Post by martinigreenbus »

Somewhere that is/has wrecked later models will be a good place to start looking Mick.
mick1313
Melburg Comrade

Post by mick1313 »

Ok thanks for that .
whatnow
The Speculator

Post by whatnow »

I've got a 1600 short block. AD serial, AS41 case with 6mm studs.

i'm in Armidale northern nsw but can strap it on a pallet and drop it at one of the local shipping companies.

$150 + post or $300 + with a set of DP heads, most of the tin, manifold, generator and whatever else I can find to suit. (no cylinders or exhaust)
Jase
Sydney tourism board.

Post by Jase »

I think I may have one here Mick

Josh talked you into building a big motor?
I'm scared my fibreglass addiction is becoming a real problem

STRIKE 1!
mick1313
Melburg Comrade

Post by mick1313 »

Haven't spoken to Josh yet Jase. Letting him get Christmas out of the way with the family before I jumped on his back. :lol: I'm sending away for the dumb book for Vw owners so I know what I'm looking at . Mark knows what is talking about so I think the 1600 is the way to go . I'll speak to Josh and let you know which Way I'm going . Thanks lads
Jase
Sydney tourism board.

Post by Jase »

If the one I have is what you need, it's yours bud ;)
I'm scared my fibreglass addiction is becoming a real problem

STRIKE 1!
mick1313
Melburg Comrade

Post by mick1313 »

Thanks jase . Keep you informed
Sunshine
Postal Spammer

Post by Sunshine »

If you are thinking about building a mild street motor, you can stick with a stock 69mm crank and larger diameter barrels and pistons i.e 1641 or even an 1835 or 1916 but that would be as large as I would go.

If the case is apart you may as well look at a small stroker crank, better heads, good cam and larger barrels and pistons. It won't cost you much more than going stock bits. Match porting, decent carbs and you are set.

With the case, you will need to run a remote filter set up either by tapping and plugging the case or an inlet/outlet oil pump and cover. In any case (pardon the pun), you will most likely need your case checked over for cracks, have it align bored and case savers installed.

I had a motor built about 12 months ago. Spent ages researching the net, checked out all sites and then made purchases from quite a number of them. Not only is, particularly, the States cheaper all up, but the choice is immense and I would recommend you do the same. I am absolutely amazed by the 1904 I had built. It is a tough engine when you need it, great fun to drive, but also pretty damn cruisey when on the open road. Just wants to keep going. I found myself chasing more, so I fitted up a Rancho Freeway Flyer with taller ratio gears up top. Perfectly mates the engine, cruises nicely on 60/70 in third and then into fourth pulling 2900 rpm on 100.

Anyway, plenty of people on here who will have a wealth of info, contacts and skills, so I am sure if you commit you will get the job done! You will love it.

Sing out if you need some tips,or wanna chat about how to source bits. More than happy to help.

Welcome aboard too!

Cheers,

Craig.
mick1313
Melburg Comrade

Post by mick1313 »

Thanks Craig a lot to take in so my need to chat from time to time . Your all a group of top guys here . Good to get so much help