1954 or just Oval Beetle parts - wipers/door handle/s?

and what do thy seek?
FKD15
luft commander

1954 or just Oval Beetle parts - wipers/door handle/s?

Post by FKD15 »

Just a few things I'm after for now, but I'm sure I'll be adding a few bits as I think of them or find out what I need/want. I can't remember what exactly is '54/'55 specific and what's just oval specific, I need to brush up on my knowledge.

I need some wipers for my '54, prefer year specific or if they're just oval specific that's fine, need a pair(I think, as the 1 that's on it isn't an early wiper I don't think).

I also need some door handles. Again, I can't remember if ice picks are '54/'55 specific or they are just what is on all ovals. Mine has a lock-less drivers handle(which I guess I can swap to the passenger side??) and the passenger handle has an empty lock barrel, so I need a handle with a lock in it for the drivers side as I'd like to be able to lock the car.

Thanks
GASBNR
2010 "LUFTER OF THE YEAR!"

Post by GASBNR »

It's my understanding that a 54 has a locking passenger side not a drivers being a left hand drive thing. I have a friend with a very original 54 that way.

Yeah the door handles are different after 55.
"SORRY BOUT THAT"
FKD15
luft commander

Post by FKD15 »

I thought '54/'55 handles were unique and that makes sense about it being LH locking with them not bothering to switch it for RH countries early on. I saw TEX yesterday which is a LHD car and his handles are obviously set up that way. But looking back at old pics of my '55 it had a RH locking handle and blank LH, so either switched by someone at some point or VW did it in '55 at some point.

When I flick the drivers side interior handle up to lock it it flips down when I close the door so doesn't lock. I'd like to be able to lock it....not fussed which side is which but I guess I'd like it correct.
OMR_007
Are They Bullet Holes ?

Post by OMR_007 »

With my spare 3 mins yesterday, I discovered that beetle door handles up to 55 (ribbed doors) are the same as kombi up to 1960.

Doubt ill have any but ill have a look ...
Luft abgekühlte Krankheit angesteckt

CREDIT 1
OMR_007
Are They Bullet Holes ?

Post by OMR_007 »

And CIP do repros just in case you didnt know :?:

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp ... -837-205-B
Luft abgekühlte Krankheit angesteckt

CREDIT 1
FKD15
luft commander

Post by FKD15 »

I didn't know that, and hadn't really thought to go looking for repros, so thanks for that Dib!

However getting them a bit ratty to suit the car would be a challenge and new chrome door handles would look a little out of place, but it's an option at least.
Jase
Sydney tourism board.

Post by Jase »

And they're universal left to right

Plenty around mate

I'll have a look I might even have a spare set I'd let go ;)
I'm scared my fibreglass addiction is becoming a real problem

STRIKE 1!