Sydney tourism board.

Post by Jase »

Look after her won't you, I miss her :cry:
I'm scared my fibreglass addiction is becoming a real problem

STRIKE 1!
Elbo
Melburg Comrade

Post by Elbo »

Don't worry Jase, taking good care of her :)
Will need a few major things this year (clutch is first thing on the list) but planning to do more work on her myself.
Elbo
Melburg Comrade

Post by Elbo »

Got a day off work tomorrow, so I lifted the car tonight to get a head start on replacing the engine mounts. Did the front one tonight and I've got the other two ready to go for tomorrow. Putting a stock rubber mount with poly insert in the rear and a poly schwarz Forest Industries mount in for the trans mount. Not solid, but stiffer than stock mounts.

Elbo
Melburg Comrade

Post by Elbo »

Got some 2nd hand roof racks and fog lights to replace the one with the broken lens. This thing's getting more Euro by the day.
Elbo
Melburg Comrade

Post by Elbo »

Got a Thule bike rack for the Golf now to cart around my pushies.

Also got rear ended in a carpark sometime in the last 2 days. Not much damage, but the bumper has warped a little and has a few scratches :cry: Wish cars left DNA at the scene of the crime.
Phat Bug
Bendigo Squadron

Post by Phat Bug »

Got pics with the rims on??? They're rad!
Elbo
Melburg Comrade

Post by Elbo »

No pics yet mate, but should have them on there soon :)
Elbo
Melburg Comrade

Post by Elbo »

Had a metal on metal sounds coming from the the rear passenger side wheel the last few days, so took it all apart and had a look on Friday.
The wheel bearings were loose and the rotor had a couple of mm's movement in it and was rubbing on the brake pad carrier!
I had some new febi bearings laying around so I took the old ones out and the smaller bearing was badly pitted and didn't roll smoothly at all. The old nut-lock was a bit worse for wear too. I didn't have a punch or a press to put new races in, but the races were fine with no wear so I figured I could just replace the bearing itself with the identical febi bearing. Packed it with grease, put it all back together and adjusted it as per the service manual. Has been 2 days now and still running silent and no loosening.

Not being able to do the races without a hydraulic press was annoying. But is a press something that's that common in most people's garages?

Stripped back to the stub axle

Employed a bit of physics to get the grease cap back on after unsuccessfully bashing it with a mallet for a while. Put it in the freezer for a while and it went straight on.
Elbo
Melburg Comrade

Post by Elbo »

Also got a chance to measure my wheel bolts with the new wheels on. need about 10mm longer for full thread engagement + add the width of any spacer.
Nafe
Albury Luft Command

Post by Nafe »

Nice work!
Elbo
Melburg Comrade

Post by Elbo »

Thanks man!
Mustn't be my week for bearings… had a clunk in the rear hub on the Trance, took it apart and a few of the bearings were worn enough that they had a solid flat spot. Ran around today trying to source some new ones, but had no luck. Hopefully find some soon and have the bike back on the trail again.
Elbo
Melburg Comrade

Post by Elbo »

Picked up a new fan and alternator tonight from a bloke who lives a couple of km's away. Had 2 Mk2's in his driveway. One with a 1.8t conversion and Mk4 gearbox. The other a non-running 8v. Always good to meet more Mk2 owners.

My cooling fan has just about had it, so need one that spins better/at all, got a fan shroud with it too, but my shroud is in better condition.

My alternator works fine, but its really noisy (needs new bearings or something). Figured it wouldn't hurt to have another one laying around and I can put it in if the other one breaks or gets too noisy and work on it outside of the car while still being able to drive it.

surfpig
Postal Spammer

Post by surfpig »

Red mk2 with the 1.8t?
i used to be cool

#fattyfriends

http://motocycodelic.tumblr.com/
Elbo
Melburg Comrade

Post by Elbo »

surfpig wrote:Red mk2 with the 1.8t?
Yep, that's the one.
Elbo
Melburg Comrade

Post by Elbo »

The lows are coming 8) (hopefully on a fast ship/plane from the USA)
Elbo
Melburg Comrade

Post by Elbo »

Put the new fan in today and it runs fine. If anyone wants the old fan (VW part number 191 959 455 T) to take it apart and try and restore it, its free to a good home. It runs fine electrically, but the bearings are shot and it doesn't spin freely. Someone might want to open it up, but I don't know how or have the tools.
Elbo
Melburg Comrade

Post by Elbo »

Coilovers arrived today

Spike
The Best from the West

Post by Spike »

8)
Crazy Eyes
STRIKE 1
surfpig
Postal Spammer