Where to live in Sydney!

for lufters nord of the burg border
Sydney & QLD based chat, events and news.
So Rude
Its OK they know me here.

Where to live in Sydney!

Post by So Rude »

Hi

Looking for a little advice. I may be moving to Sydney but working in Perth whilst my better half has a job in Sydney.

We have 2 inside cats, 1 relaxed dog that only needs a small yard/space and the better half will be working in the city whilst I'm on a plane a lot.

We are wanting to rent until we figure out a better plan but where??? I don't really know Sydney and I don't want to be paying mega $$$ for rent but want her to be safe.

Any advice on suburbs.

Scott
XXX-1.8T
Dude, your back wheels look broken.

Post by XXX-1.8T »

I reckon sud ost Suburbs so like:

Maroubra
Kensington
Kingsford
Rosebery
Mascot

Reason for these is they are close to the airport for YOU and close to the city for HER.

They may be a little exxy but the cost you spend from going to and from airport will be saved as well traffic/time.
humphrey
2015 LUFTER OF THE YEAR

Post by humphrey »

What sort of place are you looking for ?

How many rooms, garages, approximate $

Homebush / Concord is pretty central for both of you & easy to get anywhere from , not to sure how dear $ they are though.
Nath
Strike 1
hertz
Snake Charmer

Post by hertz »

Doonside
signature cock
So Rude

Post by So Rude »

Happy with a small place, 2 bedrooms smallest.

2 car park spaces would be good, a garge would be great, infact a grage is probably needed!

Needs a bit of a back garden for the mut.

Not sure about price in Sydney, would $500/w get us something? Happy to spend less but really have no idea about places there. Here in Perth you can get something good for 400ish.

I'll look a couple of those places up tonight.
humphrey
2015 LUFTER OF THE YEAR

Post by humphrey »

The closer to town, the more it will cost
$ 400 - 500 will get a medium size 3 bedda out in Western Sydney,
You may get a small older home around Concord for $500-600 , just depends on what you need & what you are prepared to live in.
Have a look at "whereis" to get an idea of distances etc from what you have to do, then start looking at real estates in those areas

Nath
Strike 1
IN2VWS
2014 LUFTER OF THE YEAR

Post by IN2VWS »

Rooty Hill
I had my patience tested…….It is negative.
Pollywaffle
i used to be fat,now a fag

Post by Pollywaffle »

I'm a (scumbag) Sydney real estate agent.
Market is a little tight at the moment but not as bad as it used to be. However, it's come up to Christmas so rentals will be scarce as no one wants to move at Christmas time.

XXX-1.8T suggested some good areas if you want to be close to the city. However, it's hard to find a place if you have pets. Landlords generally don't like pets. If he's looking at a pile of applications, the pets one will go to the bottom. You can put on your application that you'll pay more to cover any extra cleaning costs or whatever. You can also apply for it and not put it down, but if we find out, we'll have to tell the landlord and he'll probably ask us to kick you out.
Start checking out domain.com.au and realestate.com.au now and suss out the areas you want and get a guage of their prices.
When you get here, apply for as many places as possible. Don't apply for one place and assume you'll get it.
benham1
My heat exchangers are dragging.

Post by benham1 »

My mates renting out his 2 bedroom apartment on Bondi Rd - 2 mins walk from the beach and 1,000 bars and 10,000 hotties, pet friendly, NO parking and a mere $850 a week :shock:
So Rude

Post by So Rude »

benham1 wrote:My mates renting out his 2 bedroom apartment on Bondi Rd - 2 mins walk from the beach and 1,000 bars and 10,000 hotties, pet friendly, NO parking and a mere $850 a week :shock:
Will he do a Melburg rate of 500?
So Rude

Post by So Rude »

Don't they ask for a deposit with each application which then takes a while to get back? Or is that just QLD and WA.

Oh and if you get accepted and turn it down they keep the deposit!
benham1

Post by benham1 »

First open is this Saturday - I'll ask him how it goes and if he's negotiable, but my feeling is it will be a pretty popular rental being at Bondi in summer and all.

For $500 a week you're probably better off paying a mortgage on somewhere out in Summer Hill …
Pollywaffle

Post by Pollywaffle »

So Rude wrote:Don't they ask for a deposit with each application which then takes a while to get back? Or is that just QLD and WA.

Oh and if you get accepted and turn it down they keep the deposit!
Nope. You can't leave a deposit until you've been approved. So, you don't leave a deposit when you apply. That way you can also apply for loads of places. If you get approved for more than one, just tell them you've been accepted elsewhere. No big deal.
So Rude

Post by So Rude »

We will eventually buy a place but as we are so unfamiliar with Sydney we didn't want to rush into it.
benham1

Post by benham1 »

XXX-1.8T suggestions of southern and eastern suburbs are spot on.

Maybe have a look at inner west too - Newtown, Stanmore, Erskenville even out as far as Earlwood.

Best resource is to punch them all into Domain.com.au and include surrounding area - have a look at rentals and sales prices and it will give you an idea of what you're up for.
LeeM
Faster than lightning !

Post by LeeM »

benham1 wrote:My mates renting out his 2 bedroom apartment on Bondi Rd - 2 mins walk from the beach and 1,000 bars and 10,000 hotties, pet friendly, NO parking and a mere $850 a week :shock:

:shock: :shock: :lol: Farken ell
benham1

Post by benham1 »

Loud drunk brazilian cock head tourists partying all night are thrown in F.O.C :lol:
Pollywaffle

Post by Pollywaffle »

:lol:
petemart
Wanna see my splittie?

Post by petemart »

Anywhere around the Eastern Suburbs (god's country, just ask Nathan-Humphrey) would be nearer to $1000 p/w to get what you are after if you can actually find a place available and it would olny be a small courtyard out the back.

Sydney is f&cking expensive and mates who have been priced out of the ost and even the inner west (Newtown etc) are renting in Earlwood and the surrounding suburbs.

I have lived in the ost for 20+ yrs and have never had a carpark but the payoff is all the beaches and cafes etc and if you get up near Bondi Junction the train station and buses means you probably wont even use your car.

You get used to not having a driveway/garage but it does mean your projects have to be registered runners..

Good luck with the hunt
humphrey
2015 LUFTER OF THE YEAR

Post by humphrey »

And your cars will get backed into by your cockhead neighbours , then it will take you ages to get the $ from them, even though you watched them do it.........just ask Pete.....yeah, gods country ! :lol:
Strike 1