Mikes Entry into World of VWs and his Quest for a blau Slip

for lufters nord of the burg border
Sydney & QLD based chat, events and news.
miikeboyle
slammeister

Mikes Entry into World of VWs and his Quest for a blau Slip

Post by miikeboyle »

Hey Guys,
Im Mike.
Im from the Shire in Sydney.
I just picked up my first VW.
Its a 1967 Beetle.
It was resprayed Orange 7 years ago by previous owner who tried to keep all parts 67 and added a little Cal Look flair.
Its fitted with a Pobjoy 1641 Engine.
Its been unregistered and sitting outside for the last three years so its paint is cracked which i think looks sweet.
The pan looks fine with no rust.
The doors are rusted through at the bottom on the inside.
Rust is appearing over the car, mostly just surface rust but is a little nastier in the spare wheel well.
Its front tyres are cracked around the wheel in the middle of the tread.
The wiring is messy and I am unsure if all the lighting, horn, wipers work, but i am also unsure which knob does what.
The gearbox is good, but i have no idea how to get it in reverse.

I plan on fixing all the things that need fixing to get my blau slip, and ill prob be asking questions, looking for parts etc and i would be happy for you all to help me by teaching me in the way of the Volkswagen.

Thanks
Mike
Last edited by miikeboyle on Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nafe
Albury Luft Command

Post by Nafe »

welcome dude.

1st: learn how to post pictures.
2nd: show us your new beetle!

just yell when you need anything, they're a friendly lot about here.
opaque
The Avatar Expert.

Re: Mikes Entry into World of VWs and his Quest for a blau S

Post by opaque »

Welcome fella! Push down on the stick and far left bottom for reverse. I freaked too first time :oops:
"Hammer to fit, Paint to match"

STRIKE 1
miikeboyle
slammeister

Post by miikeboyle »

Ahh so you have to push down on the stick. Thats where i was going wrong. I knew it was bottom left as my old Datto was a 4 speed but i didnt know the push down. Thanks

Objective One Complete. I have downloaded the Manual from TheSamba. Hopefully that will enlighten me to what all the knobs are for.
Nafe
Albury Luft Command

Post by Nafe »

Looks cool, dude.

knob behind the gearshift is the heater, twist this anti clockwise(?) to turn the heat on.

On the dash, top row there is wipers on the right, lights on the left, should have two settings, turn to adjust instruments dimmer.

by the clutch pedal is the high beam switch.

to lock the passenger door, flip the handle to the front of the car.

trial and error helps.

you should need to replace those tail lenses for the roady, aswell as the tyres. Think about upgrading to some 135 Nankangs up front while you're at it.

As for the paint, wash it with some CLR and buff the shit out of it.

Will look good with some trim back on it.

she's very orange!
miikeboyle
slammeister

Post by miikeboyle »

Im reading through the Manual now and im less worried than i was before. I was playing with the switches today and not a whole lot was happening, but now i understand you have to twist them etc,

I was thinking that the tail lights are very faded so i was going to replace them. Could i possibly just change the globe in it to the colour i need?
I need new tyres on the front but was thinking i may as well get all four. I want to run them weiss wall inserts on them one day so was thinking 135s may be too small in the side wall department. What sizes does everyone recommend? I was thinking 145 front 165 rear or just 165 all round but i really have no clue. Whats the going price for the Nankangs in Sydney?

I think if i was to wash the car and buff the paint all i would be left with is the primer. You cant really see it in these picks but the paint is all cracked and giving a nice patina look which i like.

Tomorrow ill take some closer pics of the rust, the paint, and various other parts.

I also took off the deck lid stand offs as i thought it would be easier to rego with them off and i can always add them back at a later date.

When i first saw the pics it was advertised i thought the interiour looked like it had been taken too with a bucket off weiss house paint, but its all vinyl and looks much better than i thought so its staying like that for now. It doesnt have a headliner in it which is good that i can see theres no rust in the roof, but yeah will this be needed for rego? How about sun visors?
opaque
The Avatar Expert.

Post by opaque »

keep it cal, weld those holes and screw the trim :twisted:
"Hammer to fit, Paint to match"

STRIKE 1
Nafe
Albury Luft Command

Post by Nafe »

nah, you'll probably get pinged for crazed lenses before they worry about the colour. best just to find some better ones. last set I bought were $5...

depends which sort of 145s you mean, you could get the 145/80 Nankang, which is closer to the stock sidewall height, but there is also a 145/65 available from Bridgestone and Continental (smart car tyres), and these are pretty low profile. I did have these, but for a car with this ride height, I recommend the Nankang 135/80, it's that little bit smaller, so you don't rub the guard when turning, but tall enough to fill the guard a little bit. I paid $50 for my last pair of Nankangs, but the going rate is $70-$80 each. and whitewall flappers will fit very well. Look at Maiki's car.

imho, polished patina and faded through patches>rust/flat orange.
Just what I reckon, though.

No headliner should be fine, you'll just get very, very hot.

I think it's a requirement to have at least a driver's shade, but these are dime a dozen.
LeeM
Faster than lightning !

Post by LeeM »

Cool ride fella.Go with the 135 Nangkangs.Wish i paid $70 each for them.I paid $110 each here in SA.Thieves
Nafe
Albury Luft Command

Post by Nafe »

Gottavee wrote:cool ride fella.Go with the 135 Nangkangs.Wish i paid $70 each for them.I paid $110 each here in SA.Thieves
Highway roberry!

Hope you got them balanced for that price...
Nafe
Albury Luft Command

Post by Nafe »

I was just wondering... "can an orange beetle look cool".

The answer is yes:
http://www.kustomcoachwerks.com/gallery ... alNumber=2

mikey_ok
My heat exchangers are dragging.

Post by mikey_ok »

nice start brother! i agree with opaque - weld the wholes and run it trimless - proper cal style.

the whitewall inserts will be good with the nankang 135s - i used to have them on my car.

welcome.
LeeM
Faster than lightning !

Post by LeeM »

Nafe wrote:
Gottavee wrote:cool ride fella.Go with the 135 Nangkangs.Wish i paid $70 each for them.I paid $110 each here in SA.Thieves
Highway roberry!

Hope you got them balanced for that price...
They said they did a static balance but i rekn thats crap (i used to be a tyre fitter and have done it,so i know how long it takes.No way was it done but i was in a hurry to get it regoed)
$110 was better than the $170 each for the michelins from another shop i got quoted.And they said we'll do them at that price coz theyve sat in the shed for a year or so!! Faaaaaark
LeeM
Faster than lightning !

Post by LeeM »

Nafe wrote:I was just wondering... "can an orange beetle look cool".

The answer is yes:
http://www.kustomcoachwerks.com/gallery ... alNumber=2

Oh shit yeah it can look cool.Yours already does!
J BOMB
Wolfsburg Post Master

Post by J BOMB »

welcome mate ! nice looking beetle you have there :)
undercircuit
Postal Spammer

Post by undercircuit »

Hey Mike,

Nice Californian Orange... I can help you out with some lenses for blau slip if needed (just pm me)... i think it would look better with the trim on and a buff... should be looking at around $110 each for the nankans fitted and balanced any more than that is too high. I think the best look for tyres is on stock rims its the 135/80's and on other wheels the 145/65's. As for the rust it depends on where its slipped, Damo seemed to get Dr Karl passed with some. Can be a bit tough up here though. IMHO i would fix the major rust issues such as doors and spare wheel well.

D
squizy
Wolfsburg Post Master

Post by squizy »

Check out Damo's pics of Buggin.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.c ... mId=471338

Of course orange can be cool!!!

Keep the trim, Nankangs 135's should be about $80 in Sydney. I run flappers with my 135's, and whilst the flappers don't fit snug, it looks great.

For the heater, remember Clockwise for Close.
miikeboyle
slammeister

Post by miikeboyle »

Thanks for all your replies guys. Well it rained all night up here in Sydney and I was pleasntly suprised to see that the bug hasnt flooded overnight.

I checked what tyres it already has and on the front 145s and on the back 165/85. I think these sizes look ok, but yeah i guess the decision is to keep these sizes or go for the 135 front 145 rear. What will be the difference? Is it a matter of less chance or rubbing when lowered?

The previous owner wasnt sure if he would add the trim or not so he has whacked these little plastic plugs in. Im still unsure but I guess that can wait as it shouldnt affect getting the blau Slip.

I do plan on fixing the majority of the rust for the blau slip, and then the rest of it after. My dad manages a panelbeating shop and one of my best mates works at another so this is a bit of a project to learn more about manipulating metal. The only thing is that my other cars rego runs out on the 17th of November so i have just under a month to hopefully get it on the road.

I need a spare wheel too. Wheres the cheapest place to get a rim or rim + tyre? Is there going to be a swap meet at the VW shootout on the 2nd Nov? I could possibly source some parts there if i go after work. Does anyone know what time the traders stick around to?

Someone said something about a knob for the heater vents. I have no idea where this knob or lever is. In the manual it says theres levers behind the handbrake but i dont have them. Could the previous owner have removed them? I dont think i would use the heater anyways.
mikey_ok
My heat exchangers are dragging.

Post by mikey_ok »

i think most fellas on here are running 165s on the rear.

choices for fronts usually are 135 nankang, 145 nankang or 145 low profile (smart car tyres) - either continental or michelin.

look in the slam and speed town threads... there are a few threads about tyre choice/availability.
miikeboyle
slammeister

Post by miikeboyle »

So far i think i need:
Drivers door handle with a working key.
Spare wheel.
Possibly new doors
Bonnet handle and bit underneath that plugs into the locking mechanism.
Little bar that the rear boot lock clicks on to.
Sun Visors.
Fuel Gauge and wiring.
Lock for the swinging 1/4 window driver side.
Rear passengerside flexible brake hose.
Door Bonnet and Boot Rubbers.
Tail Light lenses.

From the pics do you think i need new blinker lenses?

Im looking for just used cheapest stuff i can find so if you have any spares you want to offload and i need then please let me know.

Thanks
Mike