VW Nationals 2009 23rd & 24th May

for lufters nord of the burg border
Sydney & QLD based chat, events and news.
*did*
In a shim trance.

Post by *did* »

moved from pics thread
squizy wrote:There's a bit of talk on AVD about what could be done differently at the Nats. Nick (Boomer) and Darren (Nord) have made two really good points re running something similar to Bug-Jam at WSID. Personally I think it would be a great idea having the drags and show both a WSID, with camping in the back parking lot grassed area (if you could get permission). The problem though would be funding of hiring out WSID, and running the show in the backlot. Certainly something to dream amount. Where is that VW millionaire golden tit who is willing to put up the funds every year and help to put something on like that? Club VW are a little reluctant, so I wonder whether it's all pipe dreams?
vince4ml
slammeister

Post by vince4ml »

It's a great dream, but I think we need to look at the numbers: Australia has enough VW enthusiasts to only just man the sausage sizzle at Bug Jam!

As noted on AVD (and my wallet), that $10 entry, PLUS $15 per category to provide eye candy to their other paying visitors, is all a bit much. There's no way to afford WSID without $100 per head and $20 steak sandwiches :-(

My grudge (2 years running) which I will post on the same AVD thread, is the "peer" judging for the Rat class...that's actually done by grumpy old resto freaks (that said to me, "so what do we give this then, a minus?")..."peer" indeed! Of course I asked the club about this on AVD prior to show day, and before judging on the day...with no response. [any more feedback on this point would be appreciated...is it just me?]

and yes, they should let us come in the side gate so we don't have 3 killer speed bumps! (did FONZ....eeeeeeyyyyy!!! come by helicopter?)

lastly, good to see you who were there! (display together next time!?)
Brunettes, not fighter jets!
Nafe
Albury Luft Command

Post by Nafe »

re: rat class.

i couldn't care less about having my car judged, and i don't want to win a godforsaken trophy, i just wanted to park my car. the option to not enter would've been nice, $25 is too expensive.

who won the rat class anyway?
captainvw
VOTE 1 ACKERMAN

Post by captainvw »

:lol: thats why i parked for free in the trade stand Thanks D and Auto :wink: the Judging is a Joke i thought you all new that
Don't call this a comeback .
Nafe
Albury Luft Command

Post by Nafe »

oh yeah, wasn't expecting any less. just would've been nice to only pay the entry fee.
captainvw
VOTE 1 ACKERMAN

Post by captainvw »

i hear ya
Don't call this a comeback .
martinigreenbus
2009 lufter of the year!!!!

Post by martinigreenbus »

Nafe, I thought I heard them say Sarah someone???

That's why they need the big screen with a pic.....

I know Nath and Stealthy will be all over it, it is the best and easiest way....
Dutchy
Its OK they know me here.

Post by Dutchy »

a bug won it...
rat class was supposed to be "peer" judging. mine was entered in it -didnt expect to win but the "classic resto guy" in the funny hat judged it. i would have thought someone/group that is into rats would have done it????jambo is the real deal..
nord berg
panscraper extraordinare

Post by nord berg »

don't you guys know, all you do with a rat is drag it out lower it and throw a set of rims at it.. rats are the easy way out ,oh and by the way they are dangerous and should be outlawed..
DubbinDan
My heat exchangers are dragging.

Post by DubbinDan »

Yes much harder to fit Torana lights and whale tail. That is why there are so few of them (although I did spot one in the Carpark)
rossko
Im a good bloke!

Post by rossko »

nord berg wrote:don't you guys know, all you do with a rat is drag it out lower it and throw a set of rims at it.. rats are the easy way out ,oh and by the way they are dangerous and should be outlawed..
yeah go figure. its all a big con, and now you've let everyone know????
I do all my best work, at the last minute.
Cos, that's the only time I usually do anything.
vince4ml
slammeister

Post by vince4ml »

OK, this is all going in one reply [grab a cuppa]:oops:, not spread out over a night of 2 line posts...I'm come back online sometime next year....:wink:

Trophy Schmophy, it's the minimum $25 to park inside, help make their show and be so poorly treated (no one here builds their cars for someone else's grandfather's "respect"...do they?).

If you're paying for your own (LJ), the Swap Site price of $20 is better value in hindsight: and I could have off loaded the full set of Porrera moulds I have been sitting on: "a business in the waiting". No doubt a ClubVW official would have bought them back...never having forgiven themselves for letting the wife sell them with the house back in the day...or a few years after "the day" (if there was a day?...Nafe/Fish, I told you: your time will come...but we have a long way to go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elAK6yJtpyk )

Really, $5-20 difference is only a few beers worth...or more than a 12v wiper assembly if you get there early enough (Dave found his reward for a 6:30 start)...but advertising "peer" judging when it's not, and the gong going to a club member's car (typical for any club/car/meet/worldwide) is just disappointing. Then we have to put up with the Club's response: "...The club that runs it is into low cars, I know I am, but I also make sure my car is "legal" 100mm or 4 inches clearance..." and thanks to Dutchy for slamming that down on AVD (pun not originally intended, but I'll never tell!)

You guys all know how how well our cars are loved by the public: just have a quick scan of the photos already on the net! Show me a "class" of car that gets more attention and makes more people smile: from grannies to kids.

Climbing off my soapbox, I suppose if we are all here for some sense of community by mutual interest, then only we can make (part of) the Syd Nationals as worthwhile as the shows we travel nord and sud for. If this show is touted as "THE Nats" and the ML Northern Alliance, DSK, SBHS, etc do turn up, we should make a call, a post, a fuss before next May to better the show, if not for us, but our friends coming from afar. The only way to move from 'a joke' to something that peers regard, is to find some peers and get them involved (per other shows around?).

No I'm not putting my hand up. I don't even like VWs! I'm selling the Rat, getting the angle grinder out, and makin' SunBug conversions from SuperBugs - starting now - to corner the market in 2017, coz when the GFC is over, like Roy sang "everybody loves the sunshine".

So, "peace and humpty-ness forever". See you soon! :D

New to the catalogue on 28/3/09...yes '09:
http://pegasusmanufacturing.com.au/index.php?cPath=17
Brunettes, not fighter jets!