Car clubs

for lufters nord of the burg border
Sydney & QLD based chat, events and news.
OMR_007
Are They Bullet Holes ?

Car clubs

Post by OMR_007 »

Im having a hard time deciding what car club to join here in Vegas.

There are a select few VW related clubs, however most the feedback I get isn't so inviting to say the least.

The Porsche club is full of fuddy duddy gits that would curse me for driving the Pea as my daily (like a few others do :wink: ) and can't imagine they would be interested in my El camino.

I'm thinking i'll have to stay generic, and Leroy has suggested the 'Bayside Restorers Club' which to be honest sounds the best so far.

The question is, does anyone else know of any clubs that might be worth looking into?

And the next question - How do you go about starting another club? Would it be worth while doing or is it a lot of work?

:?: 8)
Luft abgekühlte Krankheit angesteckt

CREDIT 1
MISS VDUB
T3 Hater

Post by MISS VDUB »

Clubs don't interest me, Bob has been a member of VWDQ year ago, and they all just seem to be full of politics and crap.

I prefer to just get a group of like minded friends together for a cruise and eat somewhere.
OMR_007
Are They Bullet Holes ?

Post by OMR_007 »

That the problem I am faced with Ash!
But I can't get concessional rego unless I am part of a club!

The rego renewal for the El Camino came in over $1000 for 12 months but if I join a club then its $170 - go figure.

Really I am looking for something I can pay my $25 contribution to and go on some sanctioned runs with my cheap rego :roll:

CREDIT 1
byronmcmanus59
Melburg Post Master

Post by byronmcmanus59 »

we started our own club a few years ago, more for tractors, veteran cars and stationary engines but much the same, its still a club.. we couldn't just start out on our own because we just wouldn't have the numbers, so we became a branch of another club, aka Hamilton pastoral museum 'Portland branch'

They had nothing to do with us in a political way, we just sort of mooched off them until we had enough members, which only took about 6-12 months.. now there's a few hundred members and the old mans the roadworthy scrutineer for club rego :lol:
MISS VDUB
T3 Hater

Post by MISS VDUB »

Yeah we are looking at doing that to put "The G" on club rego, we may just join the VWDCQ.
Dutchy
Its OK they know me here.

Post by Dutchy »

MISS VDUB wrote:Clubs don't interest me, Bob has been a member of VWDQ year ago, and they all just seem to be full of politics and crap.

I prefer to just get a group of like minded friends together for a cruise and eat somewhere.
i second that....
foulcan
Wanna see my splittie?

Post by foulcan »

Yeah Dib,

I hear ya. Have been meaning to join a hot-rod club since i got up here but have not really got around to it. None of them really appeal to me, plus i haven't got my car on the road yet. :oops:

When i was down sud I went to a few meetings of a big hot rod club with a mate. I was expecting to actually go somewhere interesting and talk about cars, hopefully barter for parts and maybe even help someone for a couple of hours on their car.

Massively disappointing..... half an hour of reading out letters from council, and other bulls%#t I was over it. For some reason I went to a second meeting and was equally disappointed again. Guess that experience put me off hot rod clubs, plus the fact that some old hot rodders are grumpy bastards that know everything. Guess they forget what it was like being young.

It seems that most older clubs have gone away from having fun with cars to quasi charity groups. And don't get me started on how they run there local car shows.

My $0.02
OMR_007
Are They Bullet Holes ?

Post by OMR_007 »

That is it hey! Was thinking about going to the Bayside Restorers club meeting on Friday night to check it out, but mainly to take advantage of the cheap rego :wink:

CREDIT 1
Phat Bug
Bendigo Squadron

Post by Phat Bug »

Rock up in the Porsche, that'll demand they're respect. 8)
OMR_007
Are They Bullet Holes ?

Post by OMR_007 »

I have to take the Porsche, its my daily :lol:

CREDIT 1
foulcan
Wanna see my splittie?

Post by foulcan »

You never know.... it might be the greatest source of old cars and parts yet.

I can see you now, scoping out the old fellas, being invited over to there places for some tea and jam scones just so you can see what old cars and parts you can get your mitts on. :D

Is actually a really good idea the more i think about it. :evil:

As for the cheap rego, why not
timmy a
luft commander

Post by timmy a »

i know an old gizza who is in the bayside club. i only hear good things about it. so i say good idea.
jnr356
MELBURG H.Q.

Post by jnr356 »

are you in the australian 356 registry yet?
" oh well "
OMR_007
Are They Bullet Holes ?

Post by OMR_007 »

Nope. Was thinking about it. Car is registered on the APC and international registry though.

Any benefit with the Australian registry?

CREDIT 1
jnr356
MELBURG H.Q.

Post by jnr356 »

good contacts :wink:
good mag
quite a few ozwide events

90%old farts though :lol:
" oh well "
OMR_007
Are They Bullet Holes ?

Post by OMR_007 »

will they give me club rego on a gas guzzling american land barge? :lol:

CREDIT 1
gotowo
Wanna see my splittie?

Post by gotowo »

I got them to do the rego on the spyder, but think it was out of sympathy - you have little hope with the tank. I have been on a few of their cruises, but it is more like 'leave you for dead - see you at the other end' - not the type of cruise I look for. I like the 'all in line, going in one direction' look - shows more presence :lol:
building the dream... www.type550.com
OMR_007
Are They Bullet Holes ?

Post by OMR_007 »

gotowo - sorry I missed this post ... Yeah thats why I am steering clear of certain 'branded' clubs :wink:

As nugget posted in the big long thread, we went along to the bayside restorers club meeting and almost fell asleep, however I took the leap and joined.

Seams like a fairly good club. Couple of bad attitudes from redneck fucks that obviously have a problem with a guy in his 20's owning a couple of nice cars, but all in all the rest of them were cool.

Met an older dude that was happy to have a chat about his barny he had 30 years ago and pass on the original radio out of it. He went on to tell us about the collection of 36hp shit he still has lying around but has an emotional attachment to!

CREDIT 1